Career Development Center was founded in October 1965 as the Wayne County Association of Retarded Citizens by Parents and the county Superintendent of Schools. WCARC was incorporated in May 1957. In September 1968 the workshop closed a period of three months to reevaluate and reorganize the workshop under professional direction and in November 1968 the Center received its first operating grant from the State of Illinois.
It operated in small buildings until 1975 when the building off of Route 45 South was purchased. All programs were operated in that building until 1992 when a second building was purchased and the administration offices and Regular Work programs were moved into that building.
The name of the organization was changed to Career Development Center in 1969.
In 1998, Career Development Center moved from the Route 45 building to a new building located at 2120 West Delaware adjacent to its regular work building.
Summer 1999 our agency started offering a Supported Employment Program to our consumers.
December 17, 1999 Career Development Center opened a Resale store located at their 212- West Delaware location. 2005, Career Development Center purchased the former Fairfield Lumber building at 700 West Delaware and moved their Resale store to that location.
Budgets have increased from $207.37 in 1955 to $1,874,376.00 in fiscal Year 2012.